Its a new month and I always enjoy picking a challenge or two for myself. This month I’m working on 8 glasses of water a day, an instagram prompt challenge, and a money challenge. Some people call this n0-spend but I prefer it to look like more of an attitude & beliefs challenge.
My husband and I spent a long time saying “we’re too broke to…”. I recently read Jen Sincero’s You Are A Badass (aff) and I realized that I had been carrying a lot of self-limiting beliefs about money. I plan to read You Are A Badass At Making Money (aff) next. But in the meantime, my husband and I really want to workon an attitude that attracts the financial stability to support our dreams.
Everyone needs a money attitude challenge month!
This month, we are going for a “no-spend” attitude because we want to choose to save our money this month. Not because we’re broke, not because we’re bad with money, but because we want to be intentional and have a month where we reset our spending habits and save up. Last month was difficult financially. We had a vet emergency, car trouble, our kids broke the toilet, and my husband got his first speeding ticket in 5 years! All of those things were frustrating, wiped out our emergency savings, and made us realized we needed a financial tune up.
What does a money attitude challenge entail?
Well, it should be tailored to your own needs. Here are some of your options!
- Read a book about finance. Here’s a great list of financial books I have read or plan to read soon!
- Create a budget – we prefer zero based budgeting like You Need A Budget (aff)
- Quit saying “I can’t afford that” and start saying “I’m choosing not to spend this way”, put a dollar in the jar every time you think or say something victim-y about money.
- Change your spending habits. Take a no-spend stance, cancel some subscriptions, or up your savings. Do something different!
- Develop financial goals. These can be for the month, 6 months, year, or 5 years. You can develop goals about spending, saving, investing, or retiring.
What kind of money challenge are you going to start with first? We’d love if you’d share your ideas below!
Come hang out with us in our community group on facebook!